Friday, March 26, 2010

बीत गयी सो बात गयी - हरिवंश राय बच्चन

जीवन मैं एक सितारा था,
माना वह बेहद प्यारा था,
वोंह डूब गया तो डूब गया,
अम्बर के आनन् को देखो,
कितने इसके तारे टूटे,
कितने इसके प्यारे छूटे,
जो छूट गए फिर कहां मिले,
पर बोलो टूटे तारो पर,
कब अम्बर शोक मनाता है,
जो बीत गयी सो बात गयी.

Beet gayi so baat gayi - Harivansh Rai Bachchan

In life, there was once a star,
I agree - It was very dear,
It has sunk, so it has sunk,
Look at the skies courtyard,
How many stars have broken already,
How many loved ones lost,
The lost were never found again,
But do the skies ever,
Mourn its losses?
What's gone is gone.


I do not read a lot of Hindi poetry, but from all that I have read, this is a favourite. I had read this poem in some school text book few years back and it has been some time since I looked back at it. It still makes as much sense as it did when I first read it.

I don't think I have yet enacted what these lines suggest, but I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment